Hosted by: Gabrielle Fahmy
Stories by: Gregory Wilson, Jenna Monney-Lupert, Danny Aubry & Nikita Smith
Produced by: Brendan Adams
Israel’s decision to create bus lines designated only for Palestinians is being described as racist and revolting by Israeli rights groups.
Monday saw the launch of the two bus lines, which are to be used by Palestinian workers who need to get between the West Bank and Israel.
According to Al Jezeera, the separate bus lines were created after Jewish settlers voiced concerns about sharing buses with Palestinians due to security risks.
Israel’s Transport Minister stated that the new segregated bus lines will help Palestinians by improving public transport for them and eliminate illegal buses that charge overpriced fares.
Israeli rights group are worried that the two new bus lines might have a negative impact on Palestinians travelling on regular buses.
The launch of the new buses comes at the beginning of Israel’s Apartheid Week, where university lectures and rallies are held to discuss the relationship between Israelis and Palestinians.
Morning commuters on the Jacques-Cartier Bridge were welcomed with the first of many public pressures aimed at Prime Minister Stephen Harper by Quebec unions.
According to the Montreal Gazette, a coalition of Quebec unions unfurled a 24 feet tall banner saying no to Harper’s upcoming changes to employment insurance announced last year.
The unions feel these changes will be disastrous for the Quebec economy and wage-earners. They criticize the government for not properly studying the effects of the changes they proposed.
The coalition, known as La Coalition québécoise contre la réforme de l’assurance-emploi, say they represent 1.2 million Quebecers.
They plan to ramp up more pressure in the coming days. Notably, high profile Quebecers will speak out against the bill at a public event on April 4.
STORY WRITTEN BY: GREGORY WILSON
The provincial government has launched an anti-homophobia campaign asking Quebecers how open they really are when it comes to sexual diversity.
According to CBC News, the campaign is meant to fully recognize the rights of individuals who are part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.
The campaign includes a series of television and radio advertisements depicting a same-sex couples going about their day. At the end of the ad, they share a kiss. The audience is then asked the question: "Does this change the way you thought twenty seconds ago?"
The government also created a more interactive version of the campaign online on their website:reallyopen.com.
The site presents stories of individuals with a range of sexual and gender identities where viewers are asked to honestly reflect on how comfortable they are with each scenario.
Quebec's minister of justice, Bertrand St-Arnaud, says the campaign is meant to motivate Quebecers to question their personal thresholds of openness.
The campaign will run until the end of March.
Flickr Photo by: Parti Quebecois (officiel)
STORY WRITTEN BY: JENNA MONNEY-LUPERT
The Grand Chief of the Innu people said that his tribe will continue hunting caribou regardless of the recent ban.
According to CBC News, the Newfoundland and Labrador government prohibited animal hunting from George River for the next five years.
The Newfoundland and Labrador government feel that the ban will prevent the caribou heard from dying off altogether.
The Grand Chief replied by stating that his tribe always make careful decisions on how much caribou will be killed each year.
He also stated that they make a great effort to make sure that the supply of caribou meat is equally distributed within the tribe.
Hosted by: Aisha Samu
Stories by: Carlo Spiridigliozzi, Nikita Smith, Kurt Weiss & Natasha Taggart
Produced by: Carlo Spiridigliozzi
In Greece, layoffs have been ruled out with unemployment at a European record of 27 per cent, as stated in a report by the Guardian.
The country was heading for a full-on collision with its international creditors on Sunday.
Representatives of the creditors: the EU, the International Monetary Fund and the European Central Bank discussed the situation in Greece.
Finance minister Yannis Stournaras said the public sector has shrunk by seventy-five thousand people in the last year and a half.
But still, he told a newspaper there would be no layoffs.
Stournaras has now come across hostility from within the government.
Athens agreed to cut one hundred and fifty thousand jobs from its public sector by 2015.
That’s part of a wide-ranging package of improvements for the country.
But the conservative-led administration has faced growing pressure from its leftwing junior partners.
Leader of the Democratic Left Fotis Kouvellis said that with 1.4 million Greeks now unemployed, the thought of losing even more work could threaten the already fragile social peace.
Economists are calling the situation a “great depression” as Greece is projected to see unemployment pass thirty per cent by the end of the year.
Flickr Photo by: ines saraiva
STORY WRITTEN BY: KURT WEISS
Over 99-thousand police officers will be deployed around Kenya as the country prepares for -what some say is- the most crucial election in its history.
According to BBC News, candidates are urging the public to stay peaceful in hopes to avoid a repeat of violence that coincided with the 2007 post-election. Over one-thousand people were killed due to a conflict of rival parties.
Kenyans will be electing a new president, members of parliament, country governors and members of the new county assembly. Results will be announced on March 11.
Flickr Photo by: Pompeychucks
STORY WRITTEN BY: NATASHA TAGGART
British Columbia Premier Christy Clark has issued an apology after a document was leaked explaining how the liberal party planned to win ethnic votes in the upcoming election.
According to the CBC, members of Vancouver’s Chinese and South Asian communities are calling the B.C liberal party dishonest after learning of the party’s plan to get votes from ethnic groups with their Multicultural Strategy.
Though Clark apologized for how the document was worded, Bill Chu of the Canadian Reconciliation Society called the apology unacceptable and stated that the Multicultural Strategy was full of disrespect.
While Clark says she does not know who drafted the document that was leaked by the NDP, the Vancouver Province newspaper claims it has proof that one of Clark’s chiefs of staff gave advice when the document was being written.
British Columbia’s next provincial election is scheduled for May 14.
A trail of the money used in kickbacks in relation to the MUHC super hospital project has been made public.
According to the Gazette, the trail of the mysterious disappearance of over twenty-two million from SNC-Lavalin shows payments to former directors of the MUHC.
UPAC investigators uncovered a link between SNC-Lavalin executives and MUHC officials. The prognosis reveals a conspiracy to defraud the government and the hospital to pocket the profits.
The trail leads to Sierra Asset Management in the Bahamas and an unnamed company in Tunisia receiving kickbacks from the project.
UPAC arrested former executives and directors of SNC-Lavalin and the MUHC. Former MUHC director, Dr. Arthur Porter was issued an arrest warrant; however, because of his dwindling health, he is unable to leave the Bahamas.